These days, designers vary so wildly in terms of their experience and their preferences. An aspect of design that I cover might not be something that another local freelancer or agency wants to take on – and, of course, vice versa.
So, I thought now might be a good time to run you through exactly what I focus on every day here at Design FX Studio. If you or anyone you know has a requirement for any of the below design, print management and/or marketing services, you know where I am!
Brand identity and design
It’s my main area of expertise, and I love NOTHING more than coming up with powerful new branding for start-ups and more established companies alike.
- What I do: Partner up with business owners who want to create or refresh their brand image, but usually have no idea where to start. I can also refresh or redraw existing logos and illustrations to ensure they are suitable for a wider range of applications (for example, large format print).
- What I don’t do: Work with businesses that don’t understand the value of design or aren’t quite ready to outsource this vital work to a professional. I take a highly collaborative approach to my design work, and will always work with you, not for you – but all I ask in return is that you are committed to the process and are open to trying something new!
Logo design comes hand in hand with brand identity design, but it’s actually a skill all of its own.
- What I do: Produce stunning logos according to your own ideas and specifications, and after reviewing what kinds of graphics your competitors have come up with. Unlimited design revisions are included in all my logo packages as standard; all I ask for is a 50% deposit to get the project rolling. You’ll receive your new logo in a variety of formats, along with a logo style guide to help you apply and replicate your design moving forward.
- What I don’t do: Let you walk away with a logo that isn’t a perfect fit for your brand! I am absolutely here to deliver a moniker you fall in love with, but I will never share a concept that I don’t think represents your mission and your values.
Website design and development
A lot of people who partner with me for my branding and logo design skills often don’t know that I offer web design services, too – which often comes as a surprise, since I’ve been working with the web for decades!
- What I do: Websites with between 5 and 20 pages are what I tend to deliver for most of my SME clients. Most of these are designed in, and powered by, WordPress. However, I have also managed the planning and development of lots of large ecommerce platforms in my time. I’ll always listen to your project needs and recommend a system and an approach that’s going to work best for you.
All my websites are fully responsive and designed to work perfectly across all major web browsers – plus, every single one is optimised for search, meaning I give my clients the best possible chance of ranking well in Google. (More on this later.)
- What I don’t do: I won’t touch websites that have been created using page builders like Wix or GoDaddy. I’ve got nothing against these systems, per se – but every web designer likes to work with their favourite tools, and I’d rather produce lovely looking websites using WordPress and my custom CMS, MetrixCMS.
I started my career when print was big business – and I’ve never lost my passion for helping my clients creating stunning printed collateral they can use to market themselves.
If you’d like to learn more about the many benefits of hiring a dedicated print specialist, here’s an article I wrote a little while ago on this very subject.
- What I do: Litho printing (ideal for larger print runs) and digital printing (for smaller orders that still demand excellent results). I will gladly produce business cards, letterheads, leaflets, flyers, and other business stationery that supports your brand image and helps you get the message out.
I also specialise in large format printing for assets like posters and roller banners. Aside from making sure your designs are optimised and formatted ready for the printers, I can also source the right printing house for your requirements (and often negotiate a better deal on your behalf).
- What I don’t do: Micro print runs and small document binding projects. If you’re looking for a handful of name tags for an event, a couple of menus for a pop-up food van or a photocopier service, I’m definitely not your woman.
Although I did offer van livery design and printing solutions for many years, this isn’t something I tend to provide for my clients now.
It’s one thing creating beautifully branded assets, and a killer website – but it’s another thing entirely to get them found. Me and my team of local marketing experts can work behind the scenes to strengthen your digital presence and get you more enquiries and sales from the web.
- What I do: Great marketing starts with the right words. I provide a copywriting service that covers websites, brochures, and pretty much anything else you need to promote your brand and showcase your products or services. I can also offer onsite SEO, technical SEO, and content-based SEO strategies to get you more exposure in Google and Bing (think regular blog posting and tonnes of digital PR). Pay Per Click account management is another string to my bow; I have links with an excellent PPC manager in Essex.
- What I don’t do: Though my consultants and I do occasionally help our clients out with LinkedIn optimisation campaigns and content ideas, I don’t run ongoing social media campaigns, or manage accounts on behalf of other businesses. As always, though, if this is something you’re looking for, give me a shout and I’ll point you in the direction of someone I trust to do a brilliant job!